Thursday, June 26, 2008

REVIEW: Slightly Settled by Wendy Markham



Tracey Spadolini is still mourning the loss of her boyfriend of the past three years when she meets Jack (her boss's roommate) at the office Christmas party. Things with Jack heat up quickly! Tracey isn't sure how to proceed, so she asks her friends for advice, but she doesn't like what they suggest.

I thought this book was cute, despite a couple of annoying points. The first thing that bothered me was the frequent use of the characters' names in conversation ("You look fantastic, Tracey!"..."Thank you, Raphael!"..."Tracey, you really need to think about this"...."You know, Raphael, I am a big girl"...) It would go on and on. At one point, the author made a comment that the one character, Raphael, *always* speaks like this. So, Raphael's name-dropping is forgiveable. But, when the other characters did it repeately, it got a tad old...quickly!

The other thing that bothered me was the fact that the main character, Tracey, kept gushing about how fantastic she looked after losing a lot of weight. She would go on and on about being "svelte", and about trying to adjust to how great she looked now. While I shouldn't let this bother me, it did tick me off a bit, because I've been trying to shrink down for a while, now, and haven't yet been successful at it! LOL. So, yeah, maybe I was a tad envious of a character in a book. LOL. Mind you, when someone in real life does stuff like this, you walk away, right? (or, you really WANT to!) You wish they'd just stuff it, already! LOL

Anyway. Those two things are fairly minor. Overall, the book was good, and a nice "fluff" read. I finished it in a day.

Recommended.

Rated: B+

No comments: